Saturday, August 27, 2011

Shakespeare in the Shadows

Each chapter in Dancing in the Shadows of Love begins with a quotation from one of the greatest writers ever to have lived: William Shakespeare.

Within the quote lies the essence of the chapter it introduces; each quote hints at the arc the character follows as they grow throughout the novel. 

For those of you who like to source their quotes, here is a list of the quotes used, which of Shakespeare's plays it comes from and the full quote:

Chapter 1 (Lulu)

“I shall despair. There is no creature loves me;
and, if I die, no soul will pity me.”     
                                                         Richard III, Act V, Sc iii, Line 201
Chapter 2 (Jamila)

"God shall be my hope,
My stay, my guide.”

Full quote is

“God shall be my hope,
My stay, my guide and lanthorn  to my feet.” 
                                                            Henry VI, Part Two, Act II, Sc iii, Line 24

(Here King Henry is alluding to Psalm 119: "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.")

Chapter 3 (Zahra)

“Art thou some god, some angel, or some devil,
That mak’st my blood cold?”
  
Full quote is:

“Art thou some god, some angel, or some devil,
That mak’st my blood cold, and my hair to stare?”
                                                                       Julius Caesar, Act IV, Sc iii, Line 278

(Brutus speaks to Caesar's ghost; "to stare" means to stand upright)

 Chapter 4 (Lulu)

“Et tu, Brutè? Then fall Caesar.”       Julius Caesar, Act III, Sc i, Line 77
  
Chapter 5 (Jamila)

Fling away ambition.
By that sin fell the angels.”                 Henry VIII, Act II, Sc ii, Line 440
  
Chapter 6 (Zahra)

“I will not choose what many men desire,
Because I will not jump with common spirits
And rank me with the barbarous multitudes.”
                                                  The Merchant of Venice, Act II, Sc ix, Line 30
Chapter 7 (Lulu)

“The eye sees not itself
But by reflection, by some other things.”
                                                            Julius Caesar, Act I, Sc ii, Line 52
Chapter 8 (Jamila)

“Assume a virtue, if you have it not”
                                                            Hamlet, Act III, Sc iv, Line 161                                                                                                               
Chapter 9 (Zahra)

“What private griefs they have, alas, I know not.”

                                                            Julius Caesar, Act III, Sc ii, Line 215
Chapter 10 (Lulu)

“Trust nobody, for fear you be betrayed.”
                                                            Henry VI, Part Two, Act IV, Sc iv, Line 58
Chapter 11 (Jamila)

“I must go and meet with danger there,
Or it will seek me in another place
And find me worse provided.”
                                                            Henry IV, Part Two, Act II, Sc iii, Line 48
 Chapter 12 (Zahra)

“This is the night
That either makes me or fordoes me quite.”
                                                                        Othello, Act V, Sc i, Line 128
Chapter 13 (Lulu)

“One that loved not wisely, but too well”

                                                                        Othello, Act V, Sc ii, Line 340
Chapter 14 (Jamila)

“These days are dangerous:
Virtue is choked with foul ambition,
And charity chased hence by rancour’s hand.”
                                                                        Henry VI, Part Two, Act III, Sc I, Line 142
Chapter 15 (Zahra)

“Heat not a furnace for your foe so hot
That it do singe yourself”
                                                                        Henry VIII, Act I, Sc i, Line 140
Chapter 16 (Lulu)

“Are you like the painting of a sorrow,
A face without a heart?”
                                                                        Hamlet, Act IV, Sc vii, Line 108
Chapter 17 (Jamila)

“The devil hath power
To assume a pleasing shape.”
                                                                        Hamlet, Act II, Sc ii, Line 611
Chapter 18 (Zahra)

“Nought’s had, all’s spent,
Where our desire is got without content.”
                                                                        Macbeth, Act III, Sc ii, Line 4
Chapter 19 (Lulu)

“Ye have angels’ faces, but heaven knows your hearts.”
                                                                        Henry VIII, Act III, Sc I, Line 144
Chapter 20 (Jamila)

“Sometimes we are devils to ourselves
When we will tempt the frailty of our powers.”

Full quote is:

“Sometimes we are devils to ourselves
When we will tempt the frailty of our powers,
Presuming on their changeful potency.”
                                                           Troilus and Cressida, Act IV, Sc iv, Line 95
Chapter 21 (Zahra)

“We know what we are, but we know not what we may be.” 
                                                           Hamlet, Act IV, sc v, Line 43
Chapter 22 (Lulu)

“I will weep no more”  
King Lear, Act III, Sc iv, Line 17
Chapter 23 (Jamila)

“How shalt thou hope for mercy, rendering none?
                                                  The Merchant of Venice, Act IV, sc I, Line 88
Chapter 24 (Zahra)

“Charity itself fulfils the law,
And who can sever love from charity?”
                                                     Love’s Labour’s Lost, Act IV, Sc iii, Line 363

So, what do you think? If you've read the novel, do you think each quote accurately reflects what happens in the chapter? 

And did you notice that the all the sub-heading quotes - except the last chapter - are from the tragedies? Why do you think the last chapter is the only one which has a quote from a comedy?

Next month I'll go into more detail about that quote from Love's Labour's Lost!

2 comments:

Journaling Woman said...

I love that you start your chapters with quotes. Quotes and sentences in general, spoken or written, become pictures in our mind and soul. Sometimes those pictures are life building and other times become stumbling blocks.

Your book sounds great.

Judy Croome | @judy_croome said...

JW: Yes, a short quote or saying can sometimes reflect exactly what we're thinking or feeling - when a quote moves us, usually that's because it has articulated what we feel but haven't been able to express adequately.